If you are like me or our new design team member Angie Holden, you like to be organized. But organization isn't always fun, which is why it's great to make it fun! Angie created this magnetic chalkboard calendar using a little imagination and PSA Essentials Peel & Stick stamps. Here's how to go about doing it!
Materials Needed (for calendar):
- Sheet of metal cut to size for your frame (example is 20 inches by 24 inches)
- Metal Cleaner
- Metal Primer
- Chalkboard Paint
- Spray Paint for frame
- Chalk Markers
Let's walk through it, step-by-step:
1) First take your metal piece and clean it really well. Engine cleaner for cars work well or anything that is made to clean metal. Rinse it really well and follow all package directions.
2) Next paint one side of your metal piece with one coat of primer plus two to three coats of chalkboard paint. Again follow all directions on your paint. Chalkboard paint generally has to cure for 24 hours before use so please be aware of that.
3) The frame can be new or from a thrift store. Example uses a spray primer plus paint in one in Sky Blue. Paint whatever color you choose. You can use a brush and regular paint instead if that is what you have.
4) After the chalkboard paint has cured, be sure to follow the directions on the paint for conditioning it. Generally you rub chalk all over your surface and clean it back off.
5) Find chalk markers at your local craft store - they come in white or fluorescent colors. Chalk markers only come off when they get wet. This makes them perfect for a calendar.
6) Used a ruler or another straight edge for your lines. Calculate so that your calendar is roughly centered and the squares are all the same size. Be sure your magnets will fit inside your squares. Leave an area for your month and days of the week. Plus add your numbers to the squares. Remember at the end of the month, you just use water to wipe off and you can draw on a new month.
Materials needed (for magnets):
- 1 1/2 inch wood circles or metal washers (pictures of both below)
- Paint (craft paint or spray paint)
- Scrapbook paper
- Mod Podge
- PSA Essentials stamps and ink
- Self adhesive magnets
A combination of the PSA Mom's Calendar and the PSA Date Night Peel & Stick stamps were used. For the first set of magnets, we are going to use the wood circles. This is an example of a pack from the craft store.
1) Paint the edges of your wood circles with craft paint (you could also just spray paint the entire circle). Use paint colors that match the scrapbook paper you are going to use.
2) Trace your circles onto the craft paper and cut out.
3) Using various colors of ink, stamp your paper circles with your PSA stamps. Again matching your paper to the paint used on the circles.
4) Layer on a few coats of mod podge.
5) Once dry, add your magnet to the back using the self adhesive provided with the magnet.
The Dare to Dream set can also be used for magnets.
Metal washers from the hardware store were used and spray painted yellow.
Then just follow the steps up above to make your magnets...
Magnetic clips were added to the chalk board to hold chalk. Chalk can be used to write on the calendar during the month without disturbing the chalk marker lines.
Ta-da! You have a great magnetic chalk board!