This can be one of the hardest parts of wedding planning. When it came time to discuss guest list for my wedding, my mother-in-law said to me, "This is my A list, there is no B list." Turns out her A list was 75 people! Luckily I wanted a wedding with about 200 people so it all worked out. I have heard other stories where brides weren't so lucky.
According to The Knot.com, you should follow these rules when planning your guest list:
- Stay Mum. Don't call everyone you know about your engagement because it prompts their question: "So when's the wedding?" and they assume they're invited.
- Divide Seats Equally. Bride gets 50, groom gets 50 - or whatever number you guys choose.
- Don't get bullied by in-laws or parents. Stick to boundaries once you establish them.
- For co-workers or certain groups of friends, subscribe to the all or nothing rule.
- When you are over your limit, cut, cut, cut! Here are The Knot.com's "rules" for cutting: